lgpiper

Reading Slothfully

The Spirit of the Border
Zane Grey
Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
Beverly Cleary
The Underground Man (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Ross Macdonald
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time  - Madeleine L'Engle Somehow, when I signed up for to read this book, I didn't realize that it was written for middle schoolers, nor that it was a sort of classic in its day some 50+ years ago. I'd passed on from middle school by then. I just got overwhelmed by all the buzz regarding the movie that's recently come out and figured I should check out the buzz.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I really liked the beginning, and thought I'd have a good time reading it. But as the book progressed, I found it increasingly boring. I'm guessing that the writing was a bit weak, and the descriptions didn't fill in the chinks very well. Then too, I got increasingly pissed off by the idea that people who wear glasses are unattractive. I know it's a common meme in culture, especially culture some 50+ years ago, but I find it tiresome. I have too little imagination to understand why no one "makes passes at girls who wear glasses". Personally, I always thought girls could look adorably cute in glasses, especially red heads.

Anyway, our heroine, Meg Murray, feels like a fish out of water most of the time. She's unattractive (she thinks) and doesn't do particularly well in school, except in math. People make fun of her because her father has gone missing some year or so previously and because her 5-year-old little brother is "weird". He's actually kind of an idiot savant, but people seem to think he's retarded because it took him a while to begin speaking. When he did speak, he had a rather large and colorful vocabulary.

Anyway, little brother, Charles Wallace, has made friends with some "entities" in a haunted house, Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Who. They get Charles Wallace to gather up Meg and another boy, Calvin O'Keefe, who is a popular jock at school, but rather a misfit at home. The three of them go off on a quest to fight against the darkness and bring back Meg and Charles Wallace's father. They sort of time/space travel through the medium of something called a "tessering".

I dunno, it didn't do a lot for me. It's better than a 2* book, but not so good as my view of a normal 3* book. So, were it possible, I'd rate it **+, or 2½*s. Whatever, I won't be reading any more of this series any time soon.