lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

The Knife Slipped

The Knife Slipped - Erle Stanley Gardner Well, I thought to get some Perry Mason from the library in kindle. This was the first Erle Stanley Gardner I'd found. BUT...it's not Perry Mason!!! It seems that Gardner, under a pseudonym wrote a series of hard-boiled detective books featuring a young runt of a detective, Donald Lam, who worked for a large, coarse woman named Bertha Cool, who constantly refers to herself in third person. But this particular book, was never published at the time it was written, 1939. It only saw the light of day in 2016. The lurid, pulp-fiction cover has nothing to do with the book. Other than that, the book's ok.

Mrs. Atterby brings her daughter, Mrs. Edith Cunner, to Bertha Cool's agency to dig up dirt on Edith's husband, Eben, who is pretty obviously being unfaithful. Bertha assigns Donald to the case. Along the way, they discover there's much political corruption involved in the shenanigans of Eben, aka Arthur Gell. Bertha decides she'd like to get in on the graft, cut herself a slice of cake, so to speak. But in the cake cutting, the knife slipped, and Bertha didn't get her much desired big pay day. But, they do finger the killer...sort of. It was a fairly cute story, and I'd likely read another if the library decides to carry any from this series in kindle format.