lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

A Christmas Carol (Great Illustrated Classics)

A Christmas Carol  (Great Illustrated Classics) - Malvina G. Vogel, Charles Dickens I thought I'd like to re-read this one. So my spouse handed me a copy. It was a real copy. But then, she took that copy away and left me reading this "adapted" copy. That is, someone (Malvina G. Vogel) decided they could do a better job than Dickens writing the English language, or something. In all fairness, I think this was a kids' edition, and needed to be a bit shorter/more straightforward than what the master himself produced. Dickens does, after all, tend to blather away in such a way as to entertain adults, but, perhaps, mostly befuddle 11-year olds.

Anyway, is is a Dickens storyline, and you'd have a hard time doing better than that. I've read this story before, alone and in groups, and also seen multiple film adaptations. With Dickens, the story never grows old. This version had lots of nice drawings to reinforce the text. I liked them. Next time, however, I'll hunt up a real Dickens version, illustrations or no.