lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Masterman Ready The Wreck of the "Pacific"

Masterman Ready The Wreck of the "Pacific" - Frederick Marryat A hundred years ago, this was considered a children's classic. It tells the story of the Seagrave family who are ship wrecked on a south sea island along with a wizened old sailor, Masterman Ready. That sounds like it might be a gripping story, but it's not. It switches between didactic lessons regarding how the protagonists salvage their ship and set up housing for themselves and procure sources of food, along with pious discourses on how all is ordered by God's great, beneficial providence.

It wasn't truly horrible, and I thought for time I might get through it. But then, I decided that my age, my remaining time on earth was too short to waste on such dated dreck.

I made it 40% of the way through the book, so technically it belongs on the "gave up" bookshelf. But I invested enough time into it and another book on which I "gave up", that I decided one should be counted for my reading for the year and one in the discard pile, where it belongs.