lgpiper

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
Jules Verne
The Spirit of the Border
Zane Grey
Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
Beverly Cleary
The Underground Man (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Ross Macdonald
Ross Macdonald
Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace

The Late George Apley

The Late George Apley - John P. Marquand I dunno, Marquand won a Pulitzer prize for this. I figured that meant it would be good. But I found it tedious and uninteresting. Somehow, reading about privileged, rich Boston elites who think they're just plain folks is a bit sick making. I think that's likely the point of the book, but I'm not not willing to finish so as to find out. I got through 18% and then cried, "Give!"

I've read a half dozen other Marquand books, all in the Mr. Moto series, and thought they were all good and well enough written. This not so much. It didn't help that the kindle version I had for this book was egregiously proof read. Oodles of errors in typography and layout. I know that creating eBooks is difficult, but why not make a half-hearted effort? Gah! Anyway, I now know that one is not necessarily in for a GoodRead merely because the book he's picked up won Pulitzer Prize.