lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Adventures of Roderick Random (Oxford World's Classics)

The Adventures of Roderick Random (Oxford World's Classics) - Tobias Smollett, Paul-Gabriel Bouce God was this tedious. I suppose if one were an English Lit. major and wanted to delve back into the beginnings of novel writing, this might be an ok place to begin. But if you're just an ordinary person looking for a GoodRead, this book is not likely to satisfy you. The writing style is long-winded and archaic (albeit not so archaic as Shakespeare or Chaucer). The story line, such as it is, is meandering and rather pointless.

It seems that one Roderick Random suffers an almost endless series of misfortunes, most of which are caused by his own fecklessness, but all ends up well in the end thanks to the smiling face of Divine Providence, or something.

The reason I read this book was because it was one of the books that David Copperfield read to the inmates of the school where he landed. Sometimes, getting ideas for other books to read from literature works out as did my having read The Winning of Barbara Worth , thanks to a tip in The Grapes of Wrath . But, as in this case, it led to an unpleasant experience I should best be advised to forget as soon as possible.