lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe God, this one is awful. It's tedious and boring and very poorly written. Defoe has essentially no ability for description. The story line should be interesting, but long, tedious patches are taken up with hideously awful maundering on Calvinist theology, theology which Crusoe apparently picked up merely by picking up a Bible at the age of 26 or so and reading it through a few times. It doesn't work that way.

I have a recollection that I read and enjoyed Robinson Crusoe back in elementary school. I'm thinking I must have read one of those "as told by" thingies. No way I'd have persevered through this rubbish when I was 10 or so.

My suggestion is that anyone wanting to know the story of Robinson Crusoe would be well served to look for a condensed version specifically aimed at children. That way, you'll likely manage to escape most of this book's awfulness, awfulness that consumes the major part of the work. All the "action" is basically subservient to the twisted theology Defoe purports to propound. Reading this book was not a pleasant experience.