lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Valley of the Giants

The Valley of the Giants - Peter B. Kyne, Dean Cornwell This is one of those rugged old manly man kinds of books, pitting a good, fair-playing capitalist against an underhanded one. The story revolves around red-wood timber magnates in Northern California. It's a pretty good yarn, albeit melodramatic, at times. The characterization of women is predictably paternalistic (hey, its from a century ago, before suffrage). Interestingly, however, the primary female character is unusually shrewd in a business sense in between her fits of swooning and peevishness over the manly man of her dreams. This is escapist literature from a century ago, the kind of stuff my grandfather-in-law liked (although he turned me on to James Oliver Curwood, but this stuff is somewhat similar). It does it's job well enough.