lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Peter and Wendy

Peter and Wendy - J.M. Barrie After reading The Admirable Crichton, I figured I should read Barrie's most famous work. It turns out that Peter Pan is actually a stage play. The novelized version is Peter and Wendy. Much of it seemed familiar from my having read it at my grandmother's house in Kansas, back in the dark ages when I was about ten, from my having seen the Disney cartoon, from having seen a community theater production or two, and so forth. I've probably read a Little Classics comic book as well.

The story is interesting and well told. One flaw for modern readers, I suppose, would be the inherent racism in the characterizations of "red Indians" and the inherent misogyny in the characterization of the proper role of mothers in our lives. I'm old enough that I can shrug those things off. I wonder if I should I be ashamed to say that? I do know that such characterizations are wrong, and I wouldn't countenance them today. But I also know that such characterizations were common to the culture a century ago. I do wonder a bit how I should deal with such things (and the racism in Dr. Doolittle, whom I dearly love) when it is time to read these classics to my grandson.