lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Lurking Shadows

Lurking Shadows - Carroll John Daly Carroll John Daly is reputed to be the inventor of hard-boiled or noire crime fiction. He's not generally considered to be one of the masters of the genre—people like Raymond Chandler, James M. Caine or Dashiell Hammett—but he did precede them. So I figured I should check him out, and once I found a source of some of his out-of-copyright work on the internet, I did just that.

This particular book is a novella, originally published in a pulp magazine. It's got everything one might expect in pulp fiction. Gangsters, drugs, opium dens run by sinister Chinese, double crossing, guns, knives, and of course, a beautiful heiress. Great literature this is not, but it's a fast, and good read.