lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

So Disdained

So Disdained - Nevil Shute I rather liked this book. It's the second by Shute that I've read, and I'll likely read more of him. It involves a young man who had been a pilot during WWI. During the subsequent ten years he had become an estate manager for a rich guy. He does it well and is more-or-less a member of the family. Driving home one night in the driving rain, he comes across someone walking along the road. He stops to offer they guy a ride and discovers he is an old mate from the air corps. His mate, however, has stayed with flying, the only thing he ever liked or could do competently. He was flying a spy mission for the Russians (this was before the rise of the Nazi's, so the "Reds" were a worry) and crashed his plane. So, we spend the rest of the book trying to save the pilot's bacon, so to speak, while making sure the "intelligence" that he had gathered didn't get back to the man's employers. It's a somewhat complex plot, but a rather interesting story, during a rather interesting period of time.