lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Vicar of Wakefield (Oxford World's Classics)

The Vicar of Wakefield (Oxford World's Classics) - Oliver Goldsmith This is one of those books that get mentioned in high school English (or did anyway), but which no one ever reads anymore, probably because it is so dated. Basically, this is a sort of morality tale. The protagonist and his family go through a series of calamities, each worse than the preceding one, and then in the last little bit, it all comes out well in the end.

Parts of the book reminded me of Pride and Prejudice. The protagonist was a bit like Mr. Bennet, well meaning, moralistic and somewhat ineffectual. His wife was a silly woman who spent her time scheming up ways to marry off her daughters.

There were a number of moral digressions, which seemed to me rather apropos to our current situation. Which is to say, scoundrels and corruption have ever been with us and have ever shared a pretty common strain.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable read, although not at the top of my list of favorites.