lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Lady in the Lake

The Lady in the Lake - Raymond Chandler I liked this quite well. Getting into it was a bit difficult because I was still having issues with the unsatisfactory ending of Blonde Faith. But, once that was behind me, I got into the book. The final resolution was a bit convoluted, but not too bad.

Basically, Philip Marlowe is asked to help a rich guy find his missing wife. She'd been gone for a month before he got suspicious that something might be amiss, but then he did and brought Marlowe into the picture. Marlowe started up with a lake-side cabin where the spouse was want to hide out. In poking around, they discovered a body in the lake, presumed to be that of the caretaker's wife, who had gone missing at the same time. Well, the bodies of gigolos and hoods pile up, there are corrupt cops, there is a doctor who makes his living making evening house calls, delivering dope to his clients, etc. All the fine stuff of noire fiction. A great read.