lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Bleak House

Bleak House - Charles Dickens Yikes, this was a long slog. I got off to a bad start, probably because I was distracted by too many other things. But, Dickens is truly excellent, and this book was good. Not my favorite so far, but still good. I picked it because I read that "experts" considered this to be Dickens' finest. It wasn't for me, but it is a good book.

I did, however, have some issues. It took me a while to become reconciled to the back-and-forth changes in story teller from Esther, who was writing up her own recollections of things, to some omniscient entity who was writing the mostly non-Esther parts in present tense. After a while, I did become reconciled and enjoyed the action.

Also, there were so many characters flitting in and out that I had rather a problem keeping them straight.

I think my major problem, however, relates to my feelings that it was rather creepy how women were patronized and manipulated in this book. I realize my problem is a sensibility from 150 years after the book was written, but none-the-less, it felt creepy. I had similar issues with the end of the Count of Monte Cristo. Thank goodness, we have come a long way in our views regarding whether or not women are fully human.