lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

O Pioneers!

O Pioneers! - Willa Cather Willa Cather is awesome! This is the first of her prairie trilogy. I'd previously read the third one, My Antonia. This is the story of a young woman, Alexandra, who takes over management of her father's farm in western Nebraska, in preference to her two older brothers. She makes a success of it, but is a bit less successful in her personal life, such as it is.

This could be considered a feminist book, in that there is a strong, independent, successful female character. She's also very engaging.

I suppose one reason I liked O Pioneers! and My Antonia so much is that it is basically the story of my great grandparents. They homesteaded in South Dakota, then after a couple hideous winters headed south where they settled in Kansas.