lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Emma

Emma - Jane Austen, Fiona Stafford We've just gone through an orgy of Jane Austen videos at our house, including two versions of Pride and Prejudice, two of Persuasion, and two of Emma. My spouse went back and re-read most of them, and decided I should also re-read at least one. I'd done Pride and Prejudice fairly recently, so Emma was elected. I had read Emma previously when I was in college, which was pretty much in the dark ages, back before colleges were turned into glorified trade schools, and when education was more important than amassing cash and having bloated, over-aid, administrative staffs.

I found Emma a bit long and tedious in parts, but the tedium was also appropriate to the story. Several of the characters are either rather taken to blathering endlessly, or taken to excesses of self flattery, or both. I wanted to choke them, but then one would. Whatever, Jane Austen, as always, uses her vehicle for many observations on manners and society. Emma provides much food for thought on the ways be behave towards each other, the social charades and self delusions in which we engage ourselves. Fortunately, Emma herself, has enough critical thinking skills, that she eventually can see through her own faults, aided greatly by her friend, Mr. Knightly, and things end happily ever after, so to speak.