lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet -  Arthur Conan Doyle This is the first of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. Dr. Watson meets Holmes, they take up residence at 221 B Baker Street, and embark on their first adventure. Much of the Holmes canon consists of short stories, but it begins with two novelettes, this being the first one. I had originally begun with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, but discovered that it was a series of short stories, and also that I was jumping into the middle of things. So I re-calibrated and backed up to novelette number one.

It's an interesting enough story. Some folks complain of the anti-Mormon diatribe half-way through, but it does fit in with the overall story line. Besides, a religion invented by a 19th century con man so that he could justify raping under-age girls, is a bit sketchy imho.