lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle - Hugh Lofting Dr. Doolittle is still awesome. I remembered quite a bit of the first Dr. Doolittle book from having read it before. I didn't really remember much of this one at all. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but it was more like reading it for the first time.

Lofting is a supreme story teller, with a great gift for humorous detail. Yes, it's true that there are some racist bits in the book. That's a reflection of the times. Should we protect our children from our past, by denying them books like this? In a few years I'll have to decide about this issue, once my grandson is old enough for me to read Dr. Doolittle books to him. My guess is I'll read the books and stop from time to time to explain some of the incorrect characterizations.