lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle

The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle - Hugh Lofting Dr. Doolittle is still awesome. I remembered quite a bit of the first Dr. Doolittle book from having read it before. I didn't really remember much of this one at all. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but it was more like reading it for the first time.

Lofting is a supreme story teller, with a great gift for humorous detail. Yes, it's true that there are some racist bits in the book. That's a reflection of the times. Should we protect our children from our past, by denying them books like this? In a few years I'll have to decide about this issue, once my grandson is old enough for me to read Dr. Doolittle books to him. My guess is I'll read the books and stop from time to time to explain some of the incorrect characterizations.