lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture: A Novel of Mathematical Obsession

Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture: A Novel of Mathematical Obsession - Απόστολος Δοξιάδης, Apostolos Doxiadis A friend of mine commented that he was feeling insane. The reason had something to do with this book, so naturally, I had to badger my local library into getting me a copy.

This was a book about a man's relationship with his uncle. The uncle was considered by his brothers to have been the family failure. Uncle Petros was a math whiz, who tried to prove one of the most difficult problems of all time, Goldbach's Conjecture, the supposition that all even numbers could be expressed by a sum of two prime numbers. People have done lots of tests to show this holds for very large numbers (this book covers a time before computers) but no one had managed a definitive proof. Uncle Petros tried diligently over several decades, but eventually became dispirited and gave up...or something. The protagonist talks about his attempts to understand better Uncle Petros and his career.

It was a fairly well written book, but I'm not sure how interesting it would be to a non-mathematical person. Since I spent my first couple of years at college thinking I might become a mathematician (and then realized I lacked adequate aptitude, so opted to become a physical chemist instead), I had some sense for what was going on. That being so, I found the book to be a compelling read.