lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Two Towers

The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien I've read this before, I think twice before, but both times were many years ago. The part I remembered best was about the Ents, and I still liked them the best. I'd forgotten that the book is not really self-contained. It ends in a place requiring additional explication, which of course, happens in the third book of the trilogy, The Return of the King. Presumably I'll get to that one soon.

Just after I finished, my spouse made me watch the video. Just as in the first video, much was left out and much was added. I'm less and less a fan of Peter Jackson's adaptations of the Tolkien stories. They seem to be turning more and more into fan fic. That's ok, I suppose, but we get more violence than is in the book, and much less human nature (not that hobbits are human, but in many ways they behave like the better parts of us). I realize that violence sells better to most people than does ruminations on human nature, but not to me. I'm rather sick of the glorification of killing other creatures. We've become insensate.

update:
Whoa! Talk about fan fic. Part 2 of The Hobbit film trilogy, named The Desolation of Smaug, bears virtually no relationship to the book. OK, I guess, unless you wanted to relive the actual story in film version.