lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Admirable Crichton

The Admirable Crichton - J.M. Barrie Philip, the protagonist in Of Human Bondage, didn't have a lot of friends when he was young, so he spent a lot of his time reading. One of the things he read was The Honorable Crichton, which I discovered was by James M. Barrie, the guy who came up with Peter Pan. Then I discovered that The Honorable Crichton is actually a play. Well, I thought I'd not read a play since college, but realized that I was actually in a couple of plays, musicals actually, after I'd settled down and begun having children. So, I must have read those "plays". Whatever, I figured that one of these days, I should read a play or two, and now I have.

So this play is about an upper-class British family that has an oh-so proper butler, Crichton (sort of like Jeeves, I suppose). He knows his place, which is below the titled family members, and above the footmen and scullery maids. All works like clock work in the household. But then, they go off on a sailing trip and become stranded on a desert island. Once the party finds themselves in a state of nature, the natural order changes. And so forth. Basically it's a light comedy, and not at all bad. I spent a lot of time casting the play with the various regulars involved in my town's community theater. Unfortunately, the ideal actor for the role of Crichton died a year ago.