lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Man Who Was Thursday

The Man Who Was Thursday - G.K. Chesterton Slacktivist, aka Fred Clark said I should read this, and so I have. Were I able to give this +s and -s, I'd rate it 4*-, which means it was a pretty good book. Some of my problems with it might be that I didn't understand its deeper meanings. It's likely allegorical or symbolic or something.

The story begins with two people's talking about anarchy, one very much pro and one against. The against guy thinks it's all just poseur talk, but the pro guy decides to prove the sincerity of the situation. Next thing you know, the against-anarchy guy is an undercover cop who is seated within the inner council of the anarchists. The people in the council are all weird in different ways, a poet, a man of science, a philosopher, etc; they find out weird things about each other; one never knows what's real and imaginary, including the characters; and so forth. There are a number of religious allusions, that I sort of get, but I'm not sure I got them within the context of the book, but then I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I'll never have to write a paper or anything of the kind. At least one benefit of being old and unemployed.

Anyway, it's a sort of fun read, and if we're lucky, perhaps Slacktivist will one day tell us what it all means...or not, since he said he didn't understand it either, and he's much smarter about such things than I'll ever be.