lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Chip, the Dam Builder

Chip, the Dam Builder - Jim Kjelgaard Jim Kjelgaard was one of my favorite authors back in 5th grade or so. I'm sure y'all can imagine the fun we had changing word emphasis on the title of this book given that we were all pre-adolescent boys back in those days. Whatever, although more of a youth read than a geezer read, Chip is still a good read, even for a geezer.

Basically, it is a nature book about the habits and activities of beavers (and some other animals, trout, deer, muskrats, etc.), clothed in a story line. So, while reading, and becoming engrossed in the story, one learns the basics of beaver life: how beavers scout out locations for their ponds; how beavers build their dams and lodges; how beavers store up food for long winters; how beavers interact with other animals in the wild; how beavers protect themselves; the important ecological benefits that stem from beavers' careful management of the flow of water along streams; and so forth. Reading this is a great way to learn a bit of science all the while thinking you're reading a fun story.