lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Little Green: An Easy Rawlins Mystery

Little Green: An Easy Rawlins Mystery - Walter Mosley Apparently after Blonde Faith(6 years ago), Easy Rawlins didn't die after all. Here's the sequel. There's also one after this, Rose Gold, but the library isn't carrying that one yet.

Anyway, Easy Rawlins gets involved with finding and then protecting a young man who got implicated in the theft of a boat load of drug money. He had become involved inadvertantly because he met a hippy who kissed him and passed over a tab of acid from her tongue. It's rather convoluted. Interesting description of hippy life in those days, I guess. Actually, the book takes place in 1967, and I wasn't really aware of hippies myself until 1968. Perhaps they took a bit of time to get from California to Boston.

Interesting that while I was reading this, the police in Ferguson, MO shot and killed a young, unarmed black man for no apparent reason other than that he was black, which in their eyes made him suspicious. It seems that the attitudes of 1960s cops and those of today haven't changed all that much. To be young and black in America still makes one a suspicious character. One of the reasons I've taken to reading Mosley is because he tells me what it's like to be black in America. There's quite a lot about which those of us ensconced in our white suburbs have no clue. It's sad really, because it means we make bad choices regarding public policy. We believe things that aren't true, and then "fix" the problems of our fantasies, rather than those of actual realities. We'd be in a better place in America if the congress critters spent more time reading Mosley than they apparently do in reading the sophomoric diatribes of Ayn Rand.