lgpiper

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
Jules Verne
The Spirit of the Border
Zane Grey
Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
Beverly Cleary
The Underground Man (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)
Ross Macdonald
Ross Macdonald
Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill - Maud Hart Lovelace, Lois Lenski Well, the books I've been trying to read were so awful, I took up the third in the Betsy-Tacy series. Now, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are 10. Being 10 is special, because one now has two digits for one's age, which means grown up. Only people like my late mother ever get to have three digits.

Anyway, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib fall in love with the young king of Spain and decide one of them should be queen. They choose Tib. But, their older sisters, Julia and Katie want to have a queen for themselves, the Queen of Summer. So, there's a huge fight.

Somewhere along the way, Betsy, Tacy, and Tib make friends with a little girl in Syria Town, Naifi. It seems there is an enclave of Syrian refugees in their valley. Eventually, they learn that Naifi is of "blood royal", back in her country anyway. But, she's come to America to be an American, so they must contrive to make her coronation a typical all-American celebration with flags and singing the Star Spangled Banner and so forth. Imagine that! A century ago, we accepted refugees into our country, made them feel welcome, and helped integrate them into society.

It's all rather a heart-warming story. I hope soon to find something more adult that is worth reading, but if I keep coming up with crap, I'll gladly revisit Betsy, Tacy, and Tib in their next adventure, during which they'll be 12.