lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone, #20)

T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone, #20) - Sue Grafton Back in the dark ages, i.e. before Kindle, my spouse was my primary source of reading material (well, also the annual church-fair book table). She would go to the library and bring back an arm load of books, mostly mysteries of one kind and another. Then she'd hand off the better ones to me to read. So, over the years, we went through quite a few of Sue Grafton's offerings. I think I've read up through 'S', although without re-reading that particular book, I can't be sure. Anyway, some weird angel prompted me to see if I could get Sue Grafton in kindle format from the library. I could; and so, I decided to take up with 'T'.

This is pretty much classic private-eye detective fiction. Almost like Raymond Chandler, but with Kinsey Milhone, a woman, doing the detecting rather than Philip Marlowe. Kinsey is a bit of a loaner and has a few rough edges and neuroses. By the time one gets to 'T', the basic character outlines and settings are all pretty much familiar. So this was a bit like catching up with an old friend.

In this book, we have a psychopathic woman who works as a private duty nurse, particularly with the elderly. Her modus operandi is to make her elderly patients dependent upon her, to relieve them of any tangible assets she might be able to exchange for cash, to loot their bank accounts, and so forth, and then "relieve" them of their earthly burdens. Then, she would disappear back into the shadows, looking for her next mark. She often does this work by appropriating other people's identities for a time. Here, her mark is the crotchety old neighbor of Kinsey and her landlord Henry.

While all this is going on, Kinsey is also following her other jobs, serving summons to people and investigating an auto accident in which the insurance company that hired her thinks the plaintiffs actually caused the accident in question and have then exaggerated their medical woes in order to give themselves a nice pay day. She has to hunt down a possible witness, who when she finds him, prefers to recede back into the shadows himself.

So, we're not talking great literature here, naturally, but we do have a very engaging and a rather GoodRead.