lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Solomons Vineyard

Solomons Vineyard - Jonathan Latimer You can't get much more hard-core pulp fiction that this one. Apparently, although this book was written in 1941, it was considered too risque to be published in the U.S. When it was first published, it was highly expurgated. I presume Munseys.com (oops, it seems Munsey's has gone down the toilet. Bummer that) provided me with a more-or-less original version. It certainly wasn't tame.

So, we have a private detective, Karl Craven, who is to "rescue" a young woman from a religious cult, known as Solomon's Vineyard. When he shows up at the town where he is to do his work, he finds his partner has been murdered. The religious cult appears to be part mystical and part racket, i.e. they seem to be into drugs, illegal booze and other things. While in the process of skirt chasing a red-headed hottie, named Ginger, and gambling (presumably in his spare time, when he's not doing his job), Craven falls afoul the local mob boss. He also becomes involved with "Princess", the woman who oversees the lives of the women at the religious cult center. So anyway, we have lots of womanizing, amazing feats of hard drinking, drugs, gambling, prostitution, and even human sacrifice. What could be more fun?

Actually, it's not a badly written book, so one could do worse than sink into its scenes of general degradation. We all need that once in a while, right?