lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

The Runaway Jury

The Runaway Jury - John Grisham Once in a while, my spouse feels that it's important to help "clean out" her elderly mother's house. One way to help is to bring books home. Mostly, they get instantly recycled to the church-fair book table, but occasionally, I pick one up and read it. This is one such book. I vaguely remember having read another book by Grisham a couple of years ago on vacation, and it wasn't too awful. Besides, it's my Christian duty to read something written after the second world war once in a while.

Anyway, this book is about a giant tobacco liability litigation. Both sides are spending millions of dollars, and using many of those dollars to bribe their way into having influence over the jurors, so as to affect the trial outcome. So, that's mostly what happens, lots of legal skullduggery. It turns out, there's some skullduggery from the inside the jury pool as well. So, this makes for an interesting enough read. Not literature, but an engaging enough plot line.