lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Runaway Jury

The Runaway Jury - John Grisham Once in a while, my spouse feels that it's important to help "clean out" her elderly mother's house. One way to help is to bring books home. Mostly, they get instantly recycled to the church-fair book table, but occasionally, I pick one up and read it. This is one such book. I vaguely remember having read another book by Grisham a couple of years ago on vacation, and it wasn't too awful. Besides, it's my Christian duty to read something written after the second world war once in a while.

Anyway, this book is about a giant tobacco liability litigation. Both sides are spending millions of dollars, and using many of those dollars to bribe their way into having influence over the jurors, so as to affect the trial outcome. So, that's mostly what happens, lots of legal skullduggery. It turns out, there's some skullduggery from the inside the jury pool as well. So, this makes for an interesting enough read. Not literature, but an engaging enough plot line.