lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Border Legion

The Border Legion - Zane Grey I dunno, pretty standard fare for the genre, I think. There's bandits, there's horses, there's one beautiful, pure, intelligent, fearless, young woman, facing the "one thing worse than death", but who occasionally needs a truly manly man to rescue her.

In this case, we're out on the edges of Idaho, where a gold strike is about to happen. Or at least so the prospectors hope. Gold makes people crazy and steals their souls. Then there are those who don't want to work for gold, so figure appropriating someone else's gold makes more sense to them. That makes them crazy as well.

Joan Randal has a fight with her sweetheart, and he heads off to the wild border to become "bad". Joan repents some harsh words she said, and heads out to bring him back, because, after he left, she realized that she loves the galoot. Well, naturally, she can't find the sweetheart, but gets picked up by a gang of thieves. The head of the gang falls in love with her. Eventually her sweetheart shows up to join the gang. She redeems him, of course, and perhaps the head thief a little bit as well.

Not great literature, and it dragged a bit, but if you want mindless adventure with manly men and womenly women, I'm sure this will suffice.