lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Long Fall

The Long Fall - Walter Mosley I discovered Easy Rawlins a few years back and grew to like Walter Mosley. I moved on to his Fearless Jones series, although the character I liked the best in those books was Fearless' friend, Paris Minton. So anyway, I figured I'd check out the Leonid McGill series. This is the first of them. I'll likely read another in the next couple of weeks.

Leonid McGill is a private detective who used to specialize in finding ways to solve problems, often by framing people who might or might not have been guilty of something. It didn't matter. Someone wanted to pay for a guy to get fingered, McGill would find a way to do it. But, before this book starts, he's seen that this might not be the best way to run his life, so he tries to go straight, only fingering people who deserve it. But he does have a family to feed, so he has to take jobs that come.

This story is a bit convoluted and not all that easy to follow. First, he's to find some kids who were friends some dozen or so years previously. But he only had their nick names for a beginning. He finds them, and people begin dying. Someone even tries to kill McGill. He's got to figure all this out. In the mean time, one of his sons is getting himself into trouble and he has to bail the son out. And so forth. McGill lives a very complex life, and following along is rather interesting, albeit confusing at times.