lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, Book 7)

Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, Book 7) - Earl Derr Biggers This is the last of the Charlie Chan books, and a fine one it is. Charlie is invited by a rich man to his house on Lake Tahoe. His ostensible job is to learn if the man had had a son by his ex-wife, an opera diva, and if so, to find the son. Also invited to the house are the diva's three other ex-husbands as well as her designated #5, once her Reno divorce on #4 becomes final. So, naturally, the diva shows up as well and manages to get murdered in her sitting room, just as the plane that is to take her back to Reno comes flying over to land. Oh yeah, the pilot of that plane is also sweet on the diva, much to the chagrin of the pilot's spouse, a maid in the household.

Anyway, you can guess that things are rather complicated. Charlie, being an outsider, gets involved at the behest of the new local sheriff, who is way out of his depth, but who knows tjat. It's a complex plot, but rather fun.

I don't know if Earl Derr Biggers had plans to continue with Charlie's adventures, but unfortunately, he died shortly after this book was published. This book is a fine one on which to end the Chan series, still well plotted and well written.