lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas,  Robin Buss Grrrrr.... Chrome ate my review. I'll try again

This book seemed to go on endlessly, but it was a "good read", so to speak, so I didn't much mind.

Basically, it's the story of a young man who was imprisoned unjustly and forgotten for 14 years. He made an escape and became fabulously wealthy. Then he plotted and wreaked his revenge for the next ten years.

Dumas, it seems (first book of his I ever read), is a good observer of the human condition. The book is filled with little observations and aphorisms which are as true today as they were in early 18th century France.

I found some things about the ending a bit creepy, but I think that's mostly a difference between my 21st century sensibilities and those of a writer in a society almost two centuries removed from my own.