lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce - James M. Cain Very good. James M. Cain is known for his noire works. I'm not sure this qualifies as one of those.

Basically, it's the story of a young woman during the Depression. Her husband loses his real-estate business and takes up with a floozy. The young woman needs to support herself and daughters. Her only real talent is cooking. Desperate for a job, she takes a gig as a waitress. Eventually she gets into the restaurant business and builds a successful business. There are many setbacks along the way—she has several inappropriate liaisons and a daughter who is 100% diva—but she more-or-less triumphs. Actually, the triumph part isn't completely clear. But with her basic grit and determination, one expects she'll get things on track. Whatever, an interesting take on the 1930s.