lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Mildred Pierce

Mildred Pierce - James M. Cain Very good. James M. Cain is known for his noire works. I'm not sure this qualifies as one of those.

Basically, it's the story of a young woman during the Depression. Her husband loses his real-estate business and takes up with a floozy. The young woman needs to support herself and daughters. Her only real talent is cooking. Desperate for a job, she takes a gig as a waitress. Eventually she gets into the restaurant business and builds a successful business. There are many setbacks along the way—she has several inappropriate liaisons and a daughter who is 100% diva—but she more-or-less triumphs. Actually, the triumph part isn't completely clear. But with her basic grit and determination, one expects she'll get things on track. Whatever, an interesting take on the 1930s.