lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

A Fearsome Doubt

A Fearsome Doubt - Charles Todd This was an interesting read, especially in light of the fact that I was reading it during the week that commemorates the nuclear annihilation of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Although the book was written about ten years ago, it deals with a British police inspector, Ian Rutledge, who had served in WWI and who came back rather shell-shocked. So there are lots of comments about the experience of war and the essentially senseless slaughter that comprised most of WWI.

The library tells me that this was the sixth book in a series. Since the guy was only recently returned from the war, I'm wondering what happened in the first five books. If they follow chronological order, there's a lot to pack into one year. I suppose I'll have to check one or two of them out. Some authors write their series on more-or-less chronological order, and others not. Whatever, this book was quite good and tells me the author(s)(just one name, but apparently the books are written by a mother/son duo) are worth a second look.

Oh, the story takes place mostly in Kent, but has threads back to London. The inspector harbors serious doubts about the guilt of someone he'd had convicted of murder before the war, some serious doubts about some of his actions during the war, and serious doubts about the people in Kent, some of whom appeared to be long-loved friends, but who might be hiding secrets of their own.