lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

A Drink Before the War

A Drink Before the War - Dennis Lehane I didn't much care for this book. The main character, Patrick Kenzie, is an asshole, and it's not clear that his partner, Angela, is much better. The story moves along ok, but the author is given to cheap, cynical commentary, perhaps as a way to pretend he has an intellect. Personally, I find his commentary seriously lacking in value. Yeah, everything sucks and everyone is a corrupt weasel. So?

When only a quarter through this book, I already began having problems. It's tough-guy Boston. Lots of details about Boston, its seedier neighborhoods, driving up Tremont Street, winding through Beacon Hill, and so forth. But then, they head north to a mill town on the Merrimack River called Wickham and move from there to an even more down-in-the dumps mill town called Lansington. While at a bar in Lansington, they mention that they aren't far from Fall River(or was it New Bedford?) where there was a notorious gang rape in a bar/pool room. WTF? Fall River/New Bedford the opposite end of the state (in North-to-South) direction. Even worse, there are no such towns called Wickham and Lansington, unless they're little-known (unknown by Google) neighborhoods of Lawrence or Haverhill or Dracut or Metheun or .... If you're going for hard-boiled reality, and throw in lots of of local details to establish your cred, don't go making shit up when you're too damn lazy to hunt up a map of an area some 30 miles north of your home. WTF?