lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Iron Heel

The Iron Heel - Jack London, Matt Soar This was a surprise to me. I thought Jack London was all about woods and wild dogs and making fires in the snow and stuff. Not this book. It was a description of labor unrest under the iron heel of the oligarchy (or plutocracy). Basically, just as today, the super rich own the congress critters and the courts and run rough shod over the rest of us. The oligarchy is also immensely talented in pitting the middle class, working class and children of the abyss against each other. Nothing much has changed, huh? Just today, Michigan struck another blow against unions. Yeah, occasionally unions get a bit greedy, but never so much as the plutocrats. If you read the psalms and the prophets, you see that this shit has been going down for millenia. A bit depressing.