lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Lost World

The Lost World -  Arthur Conan Doyle I'm not sure I knew Doyle did rather a lot of stuff other than Sherlock Holmes. I probably should have. He was an author after all, and he did contrive to kill off Holmes at the end of one of his series of stories, probably so he could get on with other things. Then, he did bring Holmes back for another run later on, perhaps because he was more-or-less forced to? I dunno.

Whatever, it appears that Doyle wrote a whole series of more-or-less sci-fi books about a guy named Prof. Challenger. This is the first of the series, and likely the only one I'll read. But who knows? I may need another break from Dickens and Willa Cather (or Murakami if I go back to reading dead-tree stuff).

In this book, Prof. Challenger claims to have found a lost world deep in the Amazon Jungle that is on a plain that is elevated in such a way that no one can either get to it or away from it. But...there are reports of actual dinosaurs in the lost world. Challenger claims to have some vague proof and is hooted down. So, he heads back off there with three other people to prove to the world that he is one of the greatest of living scientists. His companions are a skeptical fellow "man of science", a British peer, big game hunter and general all around adventurer, and a journalist who thinks his engaging in an adventure will convince the woman of his dreams to marry him.

So, off they go, have marvelous adventures, almost lose their lives multiple times and so forth. This is a Edwardian adventure yarn, need I say more? It's not the greatest book ever written, nor even a very good one. But it's fast paced, easy to read and fun. Old-fashioned escapist literature.

It's kind of weird when I read about "men of science" in these 100-year old books. In a way, I'm a man of science, but I never see much of any familiarity with these people and their interests and my own. True "men of science", it appears, rather more fancy zoology and botany than they do discharges, small molecules and spectroscopy.