lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Little Dorrit

Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens This was a long slog. Mostly, it was entertaining and engaging. Sometimes it got tedious. I believe I read somewhere that authors should show, not just tell. Therein lies the problem here. Little Dorrit contains two characters, Little Dorrit's father and Flora the one-time intended of Arthur Clennam, who blather incoherently and excessively, and we get the full experience of that blather...over...and...over...again. I wanted to choke the both of them.

Other than that, the story is fairly interesting, as is usual for Dickens. There are lots of weird, interesting characters, lots of wry comments on the human condition, especially as it relates to law or government, and so forth. Although there is an orphan in the book, we don't realize it until 80% of the way through, and then, she's not exactly a major character, although an important one. We do, however, get our fair share of eccentric old maids, grifters, ne'er-do-wells, shady lawyers and all the other characters who make up Dickens' menagerie, and of course, a couple of poor but extremely good hearted people.

While this is not my favorite Dickens book by a long shot, it is still well worth reading.