lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Little Lord Fauntleroy

Little Lord Fauntleroy - Frances Hodgson Burnett Major cultural icons of the last generation included references to Pollyanna and to Little Lord Fauntleroy. It turns out both come from books written long ago. While the cultural references are kind of saccharine, both of them originated from books which are well written and interesting. Yeah, they're a bit saccharine, but not so you'd want to vomit. It's possible my liking for Little Lord Fauntleroy comes partly because I read it after The War of the Worlds, which was an egregious piece of crap. Then again, Little Lord Fauntleroy is well written and flows nicely, rather like a good bed-time story.

Anyway, LLF (much like Pollyanna, which I read a while back) is one of those good people who see goodness in others and who, thereby, render others better than they might otherwise be. That's not such a bad thing, right?

LLF himself, was the son of the disinherited third son of a British Earl -- a rather wicked Earl, actually -- and an beautiful, sweet, humble, etc., American woman of modest station. Eventually, all of the Earl's three sons die and LLF is the only heir. So the Earl hunts him up in the U.S., takes him off to England to take his place in the British Peerage. The Earl, himself, is transformed by the experience of getting to know LLF.

Yeah, it's a bit of a morality play, and a bunch of sweetness and light, but really not bad at all. The author of this book also wrote The Secret Garden, which is another classic from another time.

One fun fact, LLF had an Uncle Bevis, heh, heh, heh.