lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

1984

1984 - George Orwell, Erich Fromm I had already decided to read this before all the flap about government spying came out. I figured it was just time to re-read this classic. I remembered some from having read before, but all the political commentary regarding the powerful and the vast unwashed, proles in this book, I hadn't remembered. Unfortunately, while we've yet to achieve the level of official brutality envisioned in this book, the basics of a small percent keeping the "lower classes" in their thrall isn't a whole lot different from what we're seeing in the modern U.S.

In part I read this book when I did as a prelude to reading Murakami's latest, 1Q84. Soon, I'll see if there are cross references which made the re-reading of Orwell's masterpiece a worthwhile step to Murakami, who is probably my favorite author ever.

Update:
Nope, no reason to read this before reading Murakami's 1Q84. I think there was only one 1984 reference it this whole book. One should, however, most definitely read both.