lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Fear of the Dark

Fear of the Dark - Walter Mosley This is the third (and last so far?) of Mosley's Fearless Jones novels. I took up Fearless Jones this summer as a break from Easy Rawlins, whose series I had apparently finished up last summer.

I think reading three such books in a short period of time wears thin. The schtick gets old. Still, the book posed an interesting problem. The crimes involved, in part, white victims. But the black victims would get no justice were the police called in. So Paris and Fearless had to work through things on their own. They tracked down all the bad guys, most of whom ended up being killed, for the most part by each other. The restitution, such as it was, was done through the intermediary of one of the white victims, one who had treated Paris and Fearless as regular human beings upon first meeting them.

As I've said before, I wish I could give plusses and minuses to ratings. This would garner a 4*- or a 3*+ rating, most likely. I was originally inclined to give it merely 3*s, but figured that might be a bit on the harsh side. It is a well-written, readable book, which illuminates a culture foreign to most of us, to our shame.