lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Blue Castle

The Blue Castle - L.M. Montgomery My spouse took me to the theater recently. We were to see a production of Cats. But we got there way too early and had time to kill. My spouse brought a book, I, stupidly, left my kindle behind. So, I picked up a copy of the Oprah magazine that was lying around in the lobby. In it I found an article by Nora Ephron's sister, Halle. The thing that caught my fancy was her stating that her mother gave each of the Ephron girls a copy of Lucy Maude Montgomery's The Blue Castle when they were ready for an "adult" novel. So, I decided to hunt down a copy.

It turns out I did find an ebook version somewhere, so I could read it. I thought the book might be some kind of feminist screed, but it wasn't much. Perhaps a bit. Halle Ephron sees the message of the book as being that "You're a victim only if you let yourself be." The book began a bit slowly, I thought, but then I got into it. The main character's transition from bedraggled wall flower to assertive young woman seemed rather abrupt to me. I think those kinds of transitions take more time, but for some reason, that didn't bother me all that much. Perhaps I was rooting for Valancy by then. The ending was a bit overly romantic, but then in 1926 books were.

Anyway, it's not a half bad read. I didn't know ahead of time that the author had written all of those Anne of Green Gables books, none of which I've ever read. I'm not sure that's an additional recommendation or not. But I liked this book enough I might be tempted by Anne (especially because in all the pictures I've seen of Anne, she's a red head, and all red heads are, by definition, awesome).

---------- update ---------------
I did indeed read Anne of Green Gables, eventually, and thought it was rather good. My only complaint was that she kept complaining about being a freckled red head. Nothing to complain about there, freckles and red hair are both awesome. Curse those people who don't like red heads because of some sin of the tribe of Benjamin, who were alleged to be red headed (or was it left handed? or both?).