lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Treasure Island

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson This is the archetypal pirate story. We have "shiver me timbers", "Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum", pieces of eight, parrots, cutlasses, peg legs, etc. The whole shebang. It's also a very good story. Stevenson is a great author.

It interests me that a number of reviewers have complained that this book is difficult to read. Perhaps that's so for folks who began school after the Republican party began their assault on public education in the 1980s (or was it in the 1970s they set out to destroy public education?). Kinda weird given how public education was a special priority during the Eisenhower administration. For the young 'uns among us, Eisenhower was a Republican. I dunno, I found the book fascinating and easy enough to read when I read it in elementary school (and my 4th grade teacher drummed it into my brain that I could read at only half the level required for success in college) and I still found it fascinating and easy to read now that I'm rather more "mature". I feel a level of sadness for our future together. A society that doesn't value public education has doomed itself to a long, painful death. A society whose members can't appreciate Robert Louis Stevenson is rather shallow and pathetic.