lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Social Secretary

The Social Secretary - David Graham Phillips My spouse found an old newspaper from 1906 that listed books one might choose to give as Christmas gifts. This book was one of them, and eventually I found a copy of it. I believe I got this book from the Internet Archive. The kindle book comes from OCR on the book scan with little or no subsequent editing. Thus, there are lots of errors in the formatting. Still, the book was easily readable.

The book is essentially the diary of a young woman who was well connected with Washington, D.C. society, but who had fallen on hard times and who had to take a job (in preference to marrying an ass). A couple of her influential friends hooked her up with a new senator from the sticks and his wife. She set about a campaign to make the two of them "factors" in the Washington social scene. As is the case today, Washington is pretty much ruled by wealth and influence. It's about as corrupt a place as you can find.

I'm not sure if people were quite as stupid back then as what we have in today's Congress (Rand Paul is dumb as shit, and is considered a possible future President), but that part isn't really dealt with in this book. Whatever, it was an OK read, albeit not one I'd have missed not ever having read.