lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien My spouse seems to think I'll profit from re-reading the Tolkien trilogy. We'll see. This is the first of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and is quite a good story. It is not nearly so well told, I think, as is The Hobbit. The latter has much more charm in its writing. Perhaps Tolkien got too engrossed in making up weird names and elvish runes and the like. My recollection from olden days, when I read through the trilogy previously (twice, I believe), was that I liked the second book, The Two Towers the best. I guess I'll find out in a bit, but first, I'll take a break from hobbits and read something else.

Interestingly, as I was finishing the book, my spouse suggested we watch the video. Wow, there are whole swaths of stuff in the book cut from the video, such as the barrow wights and Tom Bombadil. Then, there is stuff added, about Saruman and the orc armies. Personally, I didn't much approve of either change, but then no one asked. The video was good, but if you have to choose between reading the book and watching the video, then please read the book, it's ever so much better. Of course, it will take you a week or so as opposed to three hours, but why is spending time reading a problem?