lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry This is a classic novelette. Interestingly, although it came out some ten years after Watson had been married off in The Sign of the Four, Holmes and Watson appear to be sharing bachelor digs in this one. The story involves the moors of Devon, with a convict on the loose, his having escaped from Dartmoor. There's a legend about a hound of hell, loose on the moors and a character is found frightened to death with a giant hound paw print near where he fell. Lots of running around in a mire full of quick sand, lots of fog, lots of ancient ruins, lots of misdirection (some in this review), some young women who weren't treated properly, and so forth. If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes, you've doubtless already read this one. If not, you should probably begin at the beginning (A Study in Scarlet), at which point you'll have read two novelettes and two volumes of short stories before you get here. Eventually, however, you will indeed get here, after which, you'll never again feel safe going out at night.