lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë I'm not really sure why I even bothered downloading this book. I had already read Anne Brontë's more famous work The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, so that should have been enough, right? Whatever, I read this one as well, and am glad I did so. It's probably not so good as her other work, but is supremely better than the more famous piece of garbage her sister Emily wrote, Wuthering Heights, although not nearly so good as sister Charlotte's Jane Eyre.

The thing that hit me in both of the Anne Brontë books is that they provide textbook examples as to why we should not allow inherited wealth. Inherited wealth turns people into idlers and assholes, giving them the illusion that they are better than other people, when, in fact, they generally are not. In modern parlance, the real "takers" in our society are those who owe their position in society to inherited wealth and inherited connections, not merit or hard work.

Anyway, back to Agnes Grey, it's the story of a parson's daughter who takes up being a governess so as to mitigate straightened family circumstances. It's the classic situation, if the children are stupid or unruly in any way, it's the governess' fault, but if they do something good, all the glory reflects upon the parents, who actually, by dint of their owing their positions to inherited wealth, are pretty much useless human beings. Anyway, Agnes perseveres through all this, in part at least to her abiding faith. My guess is that people who don't much understand Christianity in it's traditional sense, which is not at all the modern heretical perversion practiced by American Evangelicals, won't find much sense in this book. For the rest of us, there is still some wisdom to be gleaned.