lgpiper

Tales from Moominvalley
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
On The Beach (Vintage Classics)
Nevil Shute Norway
The Maltese Falcon
Dashiell Hammett
Obscure Destinies
Willa Cather
A Start in Life (The Michael Cullen Novels)
Alan Sillitoe
Mobilizing Web Sites: Strategies for Mobile Web Implementation
Kristofer Layon

Affair in Tokyo

Affair in Tokyo - John McPartland I rather liked this book. It's pulp fiction, I'll never be able to award it more than 3*s. One reason I wish I could give +s and -s is that it would be nice to be able to separate the good pulp fiction from the dreck. This one would garner a ***+.

So, this book is about a sergeant in the Army, Robert E. Lee, who works as a reporter for the military paper, The Stars and Stripes. At a dive bar, he meets and instantly falls in love with a beautiful, red-headed news photographer, Satin Shea, who also happens to be engaged to a Major General. They get involved with a ship wreck at the sight of a volcanic eruption in the ocean, a murder investigation, drugs and prostitution, and all the regular good stuff of pulp fiction.

It's not great literature by any means, but is just fine for a spot of escapist literature, something for reading on a plane or train, or for getting away from the mindless hysteria that obsesses the alleged news services of our modern world.