lgpiper

Envy of Angels
Matt Wallace
The Fellowship of the Frog
Edgar Wallace
Code of Conduct (The Jani Kilian Chronicles Book 1)
Kristine Smith
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton
Moominland Midwinter
Tove Jansson, Thomas Warburton

Doctor Dolittle's Circus

Doctor Dolittle's Circus - Hugh Lofting My recollection from the dark ages of elementary school was that this was my favorite of the Doctor Doolittle books. It certainly is a good one. I was a bit disappointed with Doctor Doolittle's Post Office, the one preceding this one (it seemed a bit disjointed), so I was happy to see that Lofting got his mojo back with Doctor Doolittle's Circus.

The Doctor needs to make some money so as to pay back a sailor for a boat he borrowed and subsequently wrecked. So he and his animal friends, along with the Cat's Meat Man, Matthew Mugg, join a circus to show off the Pushmi-pullyu at six pence a pop. The circus seems to be a bit seamy in parts, especially the way the animals are treated in the menagerie. After a while, through a series of adventures, the doctor ends up running the circus himself, and all appears to end happily. Who knows, perhaps they'll even make enough money to pay back the sailor one day.